Tuesday, July 12, 2011

This week has been exponentially better than the last. I mostly laid in my bed last week with some sort of terremoto happening in my stomach. I got sick again on Monday, but otherwise I'm back to normal, and back to work! This week has been great. I went to hours of meetings about the cancer campaign. That is planned for August 6th and 13th. We are doing it in a health center close to the part of town that we live. I was able to volunteer at a speech and physical therapy center and have been helping other people with their projects by translating. I went out to the fields today with another NGO that we are going to work with. They work with self sufficient agriculture and teach people more productive and efficient agriculture methods. We planted about 30 trees this week in a squatter settlement that doesn't have any trees as of now. Piura is basically the desert. It is really hot and has hardly any vegetation. The people have been really excited about planting trees. If they grow well we are going to plant them around the perimeter of a lot that they designated for a park in the settlement. Tomorrow I'm leaving for Cuzco and Machu Picchu! It's the 100th anniversary of its discovery so it should be jam packed with gringos. I can't wait! I'm excited about the projects we're working on, August is going to be a busy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment